[Milton-L] Abdiel (thought-sins)

Carol Barton cbartonphd1 at verizon.net
Tue Jul 1 15:22:40 EDT 2008

Well, Tony, we also had Jimmy Carter and his "sins of the
heart"--which seemed to me an example of cowardice, rather than a
virtue: he *wanted* to sin "in his heart," but fear of punishment
prevented him from acting on it--which is not the same as recognizing
the sinfulness of a desire, and overcoming it.

To play--ahem--devil's advocate--Adam seems less conscious of the
sinfulness of what he's about to do than Eve does . . . his libido
totally overrules his cerebrum . . . (now, at this moment, there is a
devil whispering in my ear, "and men haven't changed much--have
they??"--but I'll resist the temptation to obey him and say that).
Adam does make a weak attempt at rationalization, but it's more along
the "chivalrous" lines of "how can I live without you, no matter what
the consequences?" than it is "God said don't--and I don't care." He
knows that Eve is "on a sudden fall'n" and that he will be too, if he
accepts the proferred "gift," but he doesn't try to justify it,
morally or intellectually.

I'd agree with you about PR, too. It's less dramatic, because of the
constraints of what it is, but to my eyes equally fascinating, and
equally masterful.

Best to all,

Carol Barton