[Milton-L] Re: unfallen psychology

Diane McColley dmccolley at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 1 14:53:18 EDT 2008

I would like to thank everyone who has contributed and will contribute
to this fascinating thread and to applaud Richard Strier's statement
below and add my favorite bit of Milton's prose in defense of it:

 From  Christian Doctrine I, Chapter 18:

"Regeneration is that change operated by the Word and the Spirit,
whereby the old man being destroyed, the inward man is regenerated by
God after his own image, in all the faculties of his mind, insomuch
that he becomes as it were a new creature, and the whole man is
sanctified both in body and soul, for the service of God, and the
performance of good works.  Is regenerated by God: namely, the Father,
for no one generates, except the Father.  In all the faculties of his
mind; that is to say, in understanding and will.  This renewal of the
will can mean nothing, but a restoration to its former liberty."