[Milton-L] Abdiel (thought-sins)

Watt, James jwatt at butler.edu
Tue Jul 1 13:06:19 EDT 2008

Dear Carol:

The joy in all this is not whether Eve or Adam (or both!) are 'responsible' for our situation.  Or whether they sin before they partake of the fruit.  It's that the agency responsible for existence itself is so generous that it has given us a poet, John Milton, who, confronted with an origin myth had the great good sense to remake it after his own best and honest effort and who, after having managed the task breathtakingly turned to the even more profound myth at the root of all our discussions, that of the embodiment of the divine in all its grief and happiness.  Not surprisingly most folks believe the Regaining of Paradise to be a lesser achievement than the 'Loss' of it!  Oh well, there must be a reason for it, but, for me at least it is an unconvincing argument that the poet of P.R. was operating at a less exalted level.

Jim Watt