[Milton-L] Abdiel (thought-sins)

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Tue Jul 1 11:40:37 EDT 2008

Carol, that¹s a good question. I guess I would say that if Adam had mentally
rebelled, but refused the fruit at the last instant, he would have sinned
and repented. But maybe this wouldn¹t be possible, since his rational/moral
capacity was impaired by sin, as shown in his speech to Eve ‹ or do people
disagree with my reading of that speech? Similarly, Dr. Faustus can¹t repent
because his will and intellect are impaired by the habit of sin. Sin makes
you stupid, according to a lot of medieval and renaissance texts.

Adam and Eve can eventually repent because God sends prevenient grace after
the fall and judgment. Satan can¹t repent because his nature is deteriorated
and God had denied him assistance, according to the decree elevating the Son
in Book 5.

Michael