[Milton-L] Reading Milton for pleasure

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 30 18:03:23 EST 2008

You seem to have imagined yourself into a denizens' den, but the actual Milton List is populated by all sorts of idiosyncratic individuals who've already hailed horrors, so you need not harrow hell to free us.

  Jeffery Hodges

Paul Miller <pm9 at comcast.net> wrote:
  Sometimes I imagine the denizens of academia as regarding Milton as within
their province alone and I can see them chewing away at his splendid
language for years so that no flavor exudes from the words and later gumming
the words in their dotage living in fear that someone somewhere is enjoying
Milton. I think it was Woolf who said that reading Milton was about the only
reading for pleasure that she ever got to do anymore. I know just what she
meant. I read Milton for pleasure. I guess you could call me a hedonistic
Miltonian and yes I know saying that is "hail horrors" to the puritanical
Miltonist out there if you exist outside my imagination of course.

Paul Miller

University Degrees:

Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley
M.A., History of Science, U.C. Berkeley