[Milton-L] Television

Cristine Soliz csoliz at csoliz.com
Wed Jan 30 17:53:29 EST 2008

I for one think that Dahl's racism was showing when he felt compelled to
mention cannibalism. What is the purpose of this image in the story?

Chocolate is in fact a Native American bred plant and a Nahuatl word or in
the Spanish reinvention of the Mexicans, an Aztec word -- Chocolatl, which
Native Americans prepared and tempered with vanilla and which the Dutch
stole from the Mexicans. Chocolate covered coffee beans was a delicacy.
Cannibalism has been the site of fabrication in the European text of the
Indian which really indicates more the voracious appetite of colonialist
Europeans and their need to justify their very real cannibalism of the
Indians. And there is no word in Nahuatl for cannibalism or anything having
to do with eating human flesh. The only such vocabulary is one compiled by
the Spanish that they admit they only imagine would have been the words
used.

_______________
Cristine Soliz
PhD in Comparative Literature
Faculty in English, Diné College
Faculty Association President
Project Director, NEH Grant
http://dchumanities.org/
Area Chair Historical Fiction, SW Tex Pop Culture and Am Culture Assoc
Associate Scholar, Center for World Indigenous Studies
http://csoliz.com
csoliz at csoliz.com