[Milton-L] Reading Milton for pleasure

Paul Miller pm9 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 30 17:30:37 EST 2008

Sometimes I imagine the denizens of academia as regarding Milton as within
their province alone and I can see them chewing away at his splendid
language for years so that no flavor exudes from the words and later gumming
the words in their dotage living in fear that someone somewhere is enjoying
Milton. I think it was Woolf who said that reading Milton was about the only
reading for pleasure that she ever got to do anymore. I know just what she
meant. I read Milton for pleasure. I guess you could call me a hedonistic
Miltonian and yes I know saying that is "hail horrors" to the puritanical
Miltonist out there if you exist outside my imagination of course.

Paul Miller