[Milton-L] a query about C20 uses of Milton

rfeld_zn at keh.co.il rfeld_zn at keh.co.il
Wed Jan 23 13:34:19 EST 2008

Dear Stephen,

You may be thinking of the following from Christopher Hill's A Turbulent, Seditious, and Factious People: John Bunyan and his Church (Oxford UP, 1989), p.375:

"Maurice Baring noticed in 1905 that Paradise Lost was favorite reading with rank-and-file soldiers in the Russian army fighting the Japanese. [. . .] Baring's observation has been confirmed." They were too early to be Bolsheviks, though... In a note on the same page Hill recommends a book called Russian Popular Culture and John Milton by Valentine Boss.

All the best,
Nancy.

Nancy Rosenfeld, PhD.
English Studies Unit, Max Stern Academic College of Emek Yizre'el.
Dept. of English Language and Literature, University of Haifa.

    Dear all,

    A few years ago, on this very list, I recall reading a post about Bolsheviks carrying copies of PL into battle; can someone remind me of the source or the poster?

    With all best wishes,
    Stephen

    Stephen Pender, Ph.D.
    Associate Professor, English
    Director, Humanities Research Group
    Research Leadership Chair, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
    University of Windsor, Windsor, Ontario, Canada N9B 3P4
    t: 519.253.3000 [3507] f: 519.971.3620 e: spender at uwindsor.ca