[Milton-L] Piled stones

Roy Flannagan roy at gwm.sc.edu
Tue Jan 22 09:42:36 EST 2008

I am pretty sure that the gilder had a copy of the first edition in his
(or her) hand while transcribing the text around the wall.  It is very
moving, to walk the entire text around the room.

Roy Flannagan

>>> jblack at english.umass.edu 1/22/2008 8:45 AM >>>
An extended passage from Areopagitica runs around all four walls of the
Great
Hall in Hart House at the University of Toronto, painted (or perhaps
gilded --
it's been many years since I was last there) high up along the wall.
The
passage begins at "First, when a City shall be as it were besieged and
blocked
about" and ends at "and in their envious gabble would prognosticate a
year of
sects and schisms."  Suitably inspiring, for a university context.  I'm
not sure
if any words have been omitted from the passage -- perhaps not (it's a
big
room).

Joseph Black
Department of English