[Milton-L] Piled stones

Joseph Black jblack at english.umass.edu
Tue Jan 22 08:45:43 EST 2008

An extended passage from Areopagitica runs around all four walls of the Great
Hall in Hart House at the University of Toronto, painted (or perhaps gilded --
it's been many years since I was last there) high up along the wall.  The
passage begins at "First, when a City shall be as it were besieged and blocked
about" and ends at "and in their envious gabble would prognosticate a year of
sects and schisms."  Suitably inspiring, for a university context.  I'm not sure
if any words have been omitted from the passage -- perhaps not (it's a big
room).

Joseph Black
Department of English
Bartlett Hall 477