[Milton-L] Piled stones

Angelica Duran duran0 at exchange.purdue.edu
Mon Jan 21 12:14:51 EST 2008

Dear John,

What a great list.  Here¹s my two cents¹ worth...

At the Sinnott Memorial overlook at Crater Lake, Oregon, a plaque
commemorates the important, successful efforts of the namesake
Representative Nicholas Sinnott to make Crater Lake part of the National
Park system in 1902. To give his fellow representatives in the U.S. House in
Washington D.C. a sense of the grandeur of the Lake, he quoted from Book 1
of Paradise Lost. Crater Lake appears

To me a shell-hole of a war of worlds ­ who knows? Could the great blind
poet have seen this marvel ere his pen had Lucifer and his host of rebel
angels ­

         Hurled headlong from the ethereal sky

         With hideous ruin and combustion down ­
In Miltonic imagery here he¹d have found the impact.

Adios,

Angelica Duran
Associate Professor
English and Comparative Literature