[Milton-L] Sophocles and Samson: Despair

Derek Wood dwood at stfx.ca
Wed Jan 16 16:29:23 EST 2008

I could not reply at the time -- too long to explain.

1. Do you really mean 'despair'? The implications of despair in a Christian world and those in  the Roman
world are such that I wonder if you can compare them. cf. Dido wandering around Hades after her despairing suicide compared with the terrible claustrophobic metamorphosis of Pier delle Vigne in the Inferno . . .punished for all eternity. Surely Oedipus despairs in the Tyrannos and blinds himself so that (terrible reason) he may not see his parents for all eternity in the afterlife. But he punishes himself for incest; he is not punished for a sin of despair. Despair is the most terrible sin, the unforgivable sin in Christian teaching. In Roman times it can even be honourable.

2. Samson does not despair. He is not in a state of sin. He has earlier gone through all the stages of regeneration as Milton explains them in the Doctrina; (in Adam we see these stages clearly realised: recognition of guilt, contrition, repentance etc) Samson does long for death, and calls for it repeatedly This is a lament as is Job's sorrowing cry. The lamentation is not sinful or despairing in either case..For despair see Redcrosse's experience in Faerie Queene Bk 1.
Derek.

Derek N. C. Wood,
Senior Research Professor,
St. Francis Xavier University,