[Milton-L] That old Star Trek quote

walfred at UDel.Edu walfred at UDel.Edu
Thu Jan 3 20:11:25 EST 2008

  Ah, I think I can finally answer one. In the Wrath
  of Kahn, K  I believe Kahn asks Kirk if he ever read
  Milton.  Kirk  quotes Milton's Lucifer "It's better
  to rule in hell than serve in heaven."

  I must give due credit to my husband on this one,
  for full disclosure.

  Also rusty on my history, but wasn't Charles I
  battling the Scots?  I would think the Scottish
  presbyters would have an alliance with England's
  republicans.

Michele D. Walfred, B.A.
Sussex County 4-H
University of Delaware
16483 County Seat Highway
Georgetown, DE 19947
(302) 856-2585 Ext. 550
(302) 856-1845  Fax

  ---- Original message ----

    Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 17:44:04 -0700
    From: Mike Selby <mikeselby at shaw.ca>
    Subject: [Milton-L] That old Star Trek quote
    To: John Milton Discussion List
    <milton-l at lists.richmond.edu>

    Just read Philip Pullman's student notes on P.L,
    and for no good reason I had a memory of the old
    Star Trek series where Scotty states "It's a shame
    for a good Scotsman to admit it, but I'm not up on
    Milton".

    35 years later I still don't understand what he
    meant by it.  Can anyone please help me?  Huge
    thanks.

    --Mike Selby