[Milton-L] That old Star Trek quote

Mike Selby mikeselby at shaw.ca
Thu Jan 3 19:44:04 EST 2008

Just read Philip Pullman's student notes on P.L, and for no good reason I had a memory of the old Star Trek series where Scotty states "It's a shame for a good Scotsman to admit it, but I'm not up on Milton".
35 years later I still don't understand what he meant by it.  Can anyone please help me?  Huge thanks.
--Mike Selby