[Milton-L] apostasy and apology

Larry Isitt isitt at cofo.edu
Thu Jan 3 12:31:09 EST 2008

My thanks, Gregory,

I neglected to comment. The lines immediately preceding "Second
Omnipotence," I think, subtract from Milton's seeming orthodox assertion
of equality between Father and Son, because what is said is that the Son
is only able to reflect the Father's glory, not possess full deity
inherently: the Son is but the "Effulgence of my Glory," "what by Deity
I am," "what by Decree I do" [6.680-83] Thus, "Second Omnipotence" is
more an assertion of what I would call deity extended to a second, which
accords with the Arian concept of the Son.

Larry R. Isitt

English Dept

College of the Ozarks

Point Lookout, MO 65726

Email: isitt at cofo.edu

Office: 417-334-6411 x4269

"All flesh is grass...the grass withereth...but the word of our God
shall stand forever" (Isa 40: 6,8)