[Milton-L] Re: the wings again

John Rumrich rumrich at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Jan 3 10:58:21 EST 2008

I hesitate to add another lidless can to a list littered with opened
worm containers, but it was commonplace of the platonic tradition to
figure the soul's desire for immortality as wings (see the
Phaedrus).  My guess is that figure might have been adapted by
syncretic Christians who saw Christ as the true agent of the soul's
aspiration to divine realms--on a wing and a prayer.  The association
would be allegorical and need not entail imagining Christ as an angel.