[Milton-L] Re: the wings again

Matthew Stallard ms493101 at ohio.edu
Thu Jan 3 08:45:15 EST 2008

It would appear that some of the Marian exiles also believed the Son to be
an angel. A few of the 1560 Geneva Bible notes indicate this. Consider this
one example asserting that Michael and Christ are one and the same: "And at
that time shal Michael stand vp, ye great prince, which standeth for ye
children of thy people, & there shall be a time of trouble, such as neuer
was since there began to be a nation vnto that same time: and at that time
thy people shal be deliuered, euery one that shal be foud written in ye
boke" (Daniel 12:1). Geneva note: "The angel here notes two things: first
that the Church will be in great affliction and trouble at Christ's coming,
and next that God will send his angel to deliver it, to whome he here
calleth Michael, meaning Christ, who is published by the preaching of the
Gospel."

That others have read the verse in this way is also indicated by the
defensive posture taken by Barnes's note: "There is no authority for
applying this to the Messiah, as many have done, for the term Michael is
not elsewhere given to him, and all that the language fairly conveys is met
by the other supposition. The simple meaning is, that he who was the
guardian angel of that nation, or who was appointed to watch over its
interests, would at that time of great trouble interpose and render aid."

Matthew Stallard

--On Wednesday, January 02, 2008 6:30 PM -0800 Horace Jeffery Hodges
<jefferyhodges at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Sure, we can go to bed. And I agree that the Orthodox position is that
> the Son cannot be an angel (despite Origen, the Jehovah's Witnesses, and
> the Mormons), though I wonder how clear this was to Saint Francis. The
> saints, after all, are famously close to being heretics.
> I have the suspicion that Bonaventure was trying to make St. Francis as
> orthodox as possible and thus wants to avoid supporting either the view
> that Francis saw Christ as an winged angel or that Francis saw an
> unfallen angel suffering. So, he seems to want to portray the vision as
> one of Francis's own self/soul/heart in the form of a seraph in the
> likeness of a suffering, crucified Christ.
> One of the comments on the blog entry also suggested this sort of thing.
>
> Jeffery Hodges
>
> Roy Flannagan <roy at gwm.sc.edu> wrote:
>
> OK. I will stand on what I wrote and what the Bishop told me was now
> orthodox: that Jesus could not be an angel and that that assumption was
> based on the first chapter in Hebrews, which does after all say that the
> Son is "made so much better than the angels."
>
> Now can we go to bed soon?
>
> Roy F

> Roy, I don't think that 1.9 is referred back to in 1.11 because the
> former is a quote from Psalm 45.6-7 (where the companions might be
> angels), whereas the latter is a quote from Psalm 102.25-27, which
> doesn't refer to angels, not even in its context.
>
> Verses 10-11 in Hebrews chapter 1 compose a unit used as a prooftext,
> and the "they" that will perish will also be 'rolled up' -- an
> eschatological image sometimes used with reference to the end of the
> heavens and the earth, which, being 'flat', could be rolled up.
>
> So, I don't see strong evidence that the "they" includes angels
> (unless one argues that the earth and the heavens that will perish
> necessarily includes those creatures that inhabit these places -- but
> which 'heavens' is being referred to here, anyway, merely the sky or
> also the divine realm?).
>
> But I'm open to persuasion.
>
> Jeffery Hodges
>
> Roy Flannagan wrote:
> Jeffery,
>
> I think Milton most likely identified Paul as the author of Hebrews,
> whether he was or not. The angels are last mentioned in 1.7, but
> surely
> they are included in the "they" that grow old and perish, who seem to
> be
> the "fellows" of 1.9. By 1.13, "angels" are back, and in 1.14 we are
> back to "ministering spirits."
>
> Roy F

> Well, "odd contributions" are a specialty of the Milton List -- as
> many
> of my own emails would prove...
>
> But doesn't Hebrews 1:11 refer to the earth and the heavens? I don't
> see angels being specified as the "they" that will perish.
>
> By the way, Paul is not usually considered the author of Hebrews
> [...]

Matthew Stallard
Ohio University
Department of English
347 Ellis Hall