[Milton-L] Re: the wings again

Roy Flannagan roy at gwm.sc.edu
Wed Jan 2 19:13:32 EST 2008

This will be an odd contribution to this discussion, but I just talked
to a friend who is the ex-Bishop of Pittsburgh (Episcopal) to get a
theological opinion, and he tells me that, based on a distinction made
in Hebrews, Jesus cannot be regarded as an angel (after death, of
course).  My response to this is an uneducated one, and the Bishop's of
course is Protestant, but Hebrews 1.4 does expressly say that the Son is
"made so much better than the angels" and the angels "shall perish; but
thou ["Lord"] remainest, and they all shall wax old as doth a garment"
(1.11, quoted from the AV).  So, for Paul, the angels are mortal and the
Son is not.

Now, Giotto, together with his followers as collected by Jeffrey
Hodges, still might have associated the figure that came to St. Francis
in the dream as being less and less seraphic and more and more like
Christ on the cross.  I wonder if Giotto didn't start something.  After
all, his fresco is in Assisi.

Roy Flannagan

>>> jefferyhodges at yahoo.com 1/2/2008 6:11:00 PM >>>
For convenience in viewing, I've now posted all those images on my
blog, along with some of our commentary:

http://gypsyscholarship.blogspot.com/2008/01/saint-francis-receiving-stigmata-from_03.html

  I had imagined that posting these would be simple, but I spent two
hours on it! Still, the result was worth the time invested.

  Jeffery Hodges

gilliaca at jmu.edu wrote:
  >> I am, however, glad that the question was posed, for
> I might otherwise never have become of aware of this
> fascinating series of artworks depicting a
> extraordinary winged Christ . . . or perhaps an
> ordinary winged seraph who happens to be crucified
> and looks exactly like Christ.

Yes - those are stunning! And I expect you - and others - are right
about the biblical reference as source. But look at what enchanting
places we got led to as, in my case, I pretend that Monday will NOT
bring the start of classes.
Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU
JMU Safe Zones participant
"You have made God in your own image when God hates the same people you
hate." Fr. John Weston

University Degrees:

Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley
(Doctoral Thesis: "Food as Synecdoche in John's Gospel and Gnostic
Texts")
M.A., History of Science, U.C. Berkeley

Email Address:

jefferyhodges at yahoo.com