[Milton-L] Blake's winged God [WAS: somewhat off topic art question]

rpyoder at ualr.edu rpyoder at ualr.edu
Wed Jan 2 07:50:38 EST 2008

I doubt that you will find a winged Christ in Blake's work.  Blake commonly depicts angels and demons, and it is even possible to categorize winged-creatures by whether they have bat-wings (bad, in general) or feathers (good, in general).  But for Blake, the whole point of the incarnation is that Christ is human in every sense, and for Blake the dynamic of the incarnation is not a lowering of the divine to human standards, but a redefinition of the human as divine.  As he puts it at the end of "There is NO Natural Religion" [b]:  "God becomes as we are / that we may be as he / is."  Everything about being human is now by definition "Christ-like."

Blake's theology develops over this lifetime, but in general he does distinguish between Christ and the being who created Adam and Eve (or at least the concept of Adam and Eve).  That being -- and the pictures bear this out -- is a sort of composite of the Elohim you mention and Blake's Urizen.  As Elohim, he sometimes does have wings, partly because he imagines himself angelic (or is imagined to be so).  On the other hand,  Christ, for Blake, IS the imagination, whose role is to create community among people and ideas, at least in part by imagining the possibility of unconditional forgiveness.  He is fully human, or at least the human at its full potential.  I can't think of any Blakean images (visual or textual) depicting Christ with wings.

For what it's worth.

Paul