[Milton-L] Blake's winged God [WAS: somewhat off topic art question]

Larisa Kocic-Zambo larisa at lit.u-szeged.hu
Wed Jan 2 05:55:15 EST 2008

Dear Cynthia,

I haven't yet come across a winged Christ in Blake, but I am no Blake
scholar either. However, I know he has a large color printing called "Elohim
creating Adam" (see link below), that represents God with wings:

http://blake-dev.lib.unc.edu/exist/blake/archive/object.xq?objectid=but327.1
.cprint.04&java=yes

I have always been fascinated by this picture, especially when compared to
his "Satan Exulting Over Eve"
(http://blake-dev.lib.unc.edu/exist/blake/archive/object.xq?objectid=but327.
1.cprint.24&java=yes).
The Blake Archive hosted on http://blake-dev.lib.unc.edu/blake/index.html is
so huge, that, who knows, one might easily come along a winged Christ as
well. I certainly will be looking for it. Your query made me curious.
If you happen to find one, please let me know too.
Thank you,

Larisa