[Milton-L] Fwd: somewhat off topic art question

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 1 20:38:04 EST 2008

Cynthia, I've now posted on this topic at my blog:

  http://gypsyscholarship.blogspot.com/2008/01/saint-francis-receiving-stigmata-from.html

  As I note there, I doubt that this legend about St. Francis has much if any connection either to Malachi 4:2 or to Charles Wesley, for the 'winged Christ' is wounding rather than healing St. Francis (though I suppose that it is a spiritual healing).

  I've linked to a few other images illustrating the same story of St. Francis, too.

  Jeffery Hodges

gilliaca at jmu.edu wrote:

> I'm sure that if you poke around a bit, you'll find
> more images. They all seem to be associated with the
> story of the vision seen by St. Francis as he
> received the stigmata.

Hmmm. These are interesting. Thanks. I do wonder, however, how likely it is that Charles Wesley would have [a] known about them or [b] used them if he did.

Again, thanks
Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU
JMU Safe Zones participant