[Milton-L] Fwd: somewhat off topic art question

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 1 15:17:13 EST 2008

Now that I've looked around a bit, I've found something:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_of_Assisi

  Scroll down to an image by Giotto, which is explained as an image of an angel, but the image looks rather Christ-like ot me. Here's a better image:

  http://www.christusrex.org/www1/francis/SSF-stigmate-m.jpg

  There are also these:

  http://www.franciscan-archive.org/patriarcha/

  http://www.fredmartin.net/Art-Hist-ptg-drw-west-03-Cimabue-to-Mantegna.htm

  http://www.artshopua.com/sub/art/art_print_St__Francis_of_Assisi_Receiving_the_Stigmata-19107-.html

  http://www.abcgallery.com/G/giotto/giotto26.html

  I'm sure that if you poke around a bit, you'll find more images. They all seem to be associated with the story of the vision seen by St. Francis as he received the stigmata.

  Jeffery Hodges

  gilliaca at jmu.edu wrote:
  As you can see, I suffered a memory malfunction when I first tried to send this to the list. I'd be obliged if any of you can direct me to images of Jesus with wings!