[Milton-L] Fwd: somewhat off topic art question

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 1 14:49:57 EST 2008

Interesting query. I've never seen any images of a winged Jesus, but you probably know that the 'image' comes from Malachi 4:2:

  "But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall." Malachi 4:2, KJV

  I wonder if the KJV translators were making a pun on "Son of righteousness," for I notice that they've capitalized "Sun."

  By the way, the image of a winged sun is rather ancient. See the image identified as Work 53 at this website:

  http://www.metmuseum.org/works_of_art/collection_database/ancient_near_eastern_art/index.aspx?dep=3&vw=1

  There's also this image:

  http://mobposters.com/index.php?item=1345453

  Of course, you're not interested in these, I know, but I'm providing more of that 'drossiest volume' for a refiner's fire...

  Jeffery Hodges

gilliaca at jmu.edu wrote:
  As you can see, I suffered a memory malfunction when I first tried to send this to the list. I'd be obliged if any of you can direct me to images of Jesus with wings!