[Milton-L] Now they tell me...

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 29 16:05:00 EST 2008

I inquired a few days ago as to whether or not the process of selecting papers for the Ninth International Milton Symposium had finished, for I hadn't heard yea nor nay concerning my own proposal.

  I've now heard nay.

  My proposal on 'Milton's Tree of Knowledge: Why "Sacred" Fruit?' was rejected because the readers thought that it "did not differ substantively from previously published work and hence was ineligible."

  My follow-up query received the clarification that "previously published work" meant my own previously published work.

  And here I was thinking that I was so obscure that no one had heard of my work!

  Further reflection, however, leaves me thinking that I am still an obscure scholar. The readers were simply referring to my proposal itself, in which I offered to revise a recent publication of mine wherein I had applied my reworking of Jacob Milgrom's views on the holy, the common, the pure, and the impure (cf. Leviticus 1-16: A New Translation with Introduction and Commentary).

  As was explained to me in the clarificatory email:

  "The convention is that merely revising already published work of one's own is not appropriate for a form where the intention is to apprise listeners of that of which they would otherwise be unaware."

  I was hoping that my revision would be sufficient for the proposal, but a convention is a convention, and I'm quite conventional. Moreover, the convention is a reasonable one.

  So, I won't be attending the Ninth International Milton Symposium, but I'll be watching with interest from Seoul. I assume that the Symposium will be televised and that Milton fans the world over will be watching with as much passion as fans of the World Cup...

  Jeffery Hodges

University Degrees:

Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley
M.A., History of Science, U.C. Berkeley