[Milton-L] Samson's prayer of revenge

Carol Barton cbartonphd1 at verizon.net
Thu Feb 28 13:32:33 EST 2008

Joe, I think rather that this is a case of Milton "nodding." He was eyeless
only metaphorically--having eyes that could no longer see--and that were (by
his own characterization) as clear and unclouded as anyone's who could. He
may have "looked" toward heaven with them when he himself prayed, and
therefore pictured Samson doing the same thing (forgetting for that moment
that Samson's blindness was the result of the physical removal of his eyes,
not disease).

But your general impression--that we are to envision Samson as "looking"
heavenward, as one whose eyes were fixed on heaven would, perhaps with his
head tilted upward (force of habit, for someone once sighted) seems to me to
be correct.

Best to all,

Carol Barton