[Milton-L] RE: Samson's prayer for revengr

HANNIBAL HAMLIN hamlin.22 at osu.edu
Mon Feb 25 18:12:08 EST 2008

There's no place like home, there's no place like home!

I think the point has been made about SA, but re. ambiguity, it's hardly a postmodern invention.  Remember Empson and the 7 types (1930)?  Much of Empson's reading was in Renaissance poets like Donne and Shakespeare.  I note from the OED that Puttenham includes the ambiguous, or "figure of sense uncertain" in The Arte of English Poesie (I could claim I remembered it, but I'll fess up).  And one might also point out Milton's use of the word in Paradise Regained, when the Son responds to Satan (1.4.434ff.):

But what have been thy answers? what but dark,
Ambiguous, and with double sense deluding,
Which they who asked have seldom understood,
And, not well understood, as good not known?

Hannibal

Hannibal Hamlin
Associate Professor of English
The Ohio State University
Book Review Editor and Associate Editor, Reformation

Mailing Address (2007-2009):

The Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol Street SE
Washington, DC 20003