[Milton-L] RE: Samson's prayer for revengr

Beth Quitslund quitslun at ohio.edu
Mon Feb 25 13:05:49 EST 2008

PAUL:  Does anyone think Milton's first readers saw ambiguity when they
read that section of SA or any readers before the post modern age?  ...
This discussion may have broader implications in that it seems to draw on
the post modern trend toward ambiguity and relativism.  I have often felt
that the post modern mind needed a little mucking out.

BETH: Actually, yes--this is syntactically prescribed ambiguity, not
"post-modernism." I really have to second Hannibal's suggestion that the
Spenserian "as" or "seems" is an obvious model here. In both poets,
ambiguity often a way of creating more complex meaning *and* of forcing the
reader to consciously make (correct and absolute, not subjective or
relative) moral judgments.

Beth Quitslund
Assistant Professor of English

Department of English