[Milton-L] RE: Samson's prayer for revengr

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 12:55:54 EST 2008

Paul --

Differences in interpretation here, from my point of view, do not
proceed from any commitment to "postmodernism" (which, frankly, annoys
me), than it does from close attention to the language of the text,
from attention to Milton's own historical context and his likely
response to it, and that Milton chose to present his material
ambiguously.  Again, we need to see this ambiguity as a deliberate
choice on Milton's part, not a limitation to which he was subject.
Milton chose to represent the scene from the messenger's point of view
and chose to place the messenger in such a way as to render his
testimony ambiguous.  Hannibal's previous post emphasized that we
can't assume a uniformity of opinion on the part of Milton's readers.

To me, the best way to approach this topic is to read these lines
fully within the context of the  poem, and if I wasn't so behind in my
grading right now I'd do that.  You're providing me a great service,
actually: an excuse not to be grading another paper right now.  Thank
you...thank  you...