[Milton-L] RE: Samson's prayer for revengr

Paul Miller pm9 at comcast.net
Mon Feb 25 11:56:28 EST 2008

Hannibal

What is  obviously ambiguous to you is simply the literary device of having
a subjective witness describe the scene. From his vantage point "as" is all
that could be said about the prayer. As I have mentioned before put the
messenger in Judges where we know Samson is praying and from that same
vantage point the description would likely be the same. Does anyone think
Milton's first readers saw ambiguity when they read that section of SA or
any readers before the post modern age?  You said that the bible is open to
a variety of interpretations which is true but how does that apply here? It
is just a broad floating statement. You said drawing the two works together
broadens the interpretive possibilities no it narrows them when we get down
to specific source passages. Milton didn't include that clunky prayer from
Judges because he was writing poetry and as far as coming back to the
literary text I'm the only one that has done that or marshalled the least
evidence for a position. This discussion may have broader implications in
that it seems to draw on the post modern trend toward ambiguity and
relativism.  I have often felt that the post modern mind needed a little
mucking out.

Paul Miller

So Hills amid the Air encounterd Hills
Hurl'd to and fro with jaculation dire,
That under ground, they fought in dismal
shade --- Paradise Lost