[Milton-L] RE: Samson's prayer for revengr

HANNIBAL HAMLIN hamlin.22 at osu.edu
Mon Feb 25 10:42:10 EST 2008

Milton is always capable of being idiosyncratic, of course (and therefore falling outside of any context), but another interesting 17th c. treatment of Sampson is in Donne's Biathanatos, where he is listed as a suicide.  Of course, the treatise is a defence of suicide, so Sampson is still heroic (and Jesus too is suggested as a kind of suicide).  Donne knew he was playing with fire here, which is why the work was not published in his lifetime, but it was published during Milton's (1644).  I'm not arguing Milton read Biathanatos, or even that Donne's work is relevant to SA, but it is evidence that 17th c. readers could interpret the Bible in many different ways, some orthodox, some heretical.  Comparing Milton against the Bible is useful and can be illuminating, but it doesn't prove anything in itself.  The Bible is, and was, open to a variety of interpretations, and so is Samson Agonistes.  Drawing the two works together just adds to the interpretive possibilities; it doesn't
 reduce them.  Ultimately, we have to come back to the literary text, and we have to deal with the fact that he didn't include the biblical prayer, and that he used an obviously ambiguous phrase in describing Samson's appearance (the "as" again, and I'll repeat my invocation of Spenser, whom Milton knew thoroughly).

Hannibal

Hannibal Hamlin
Associate Professor of English
The Ohio State University
Book Review Editor and Associate Editor, Reformation

Mailing Address (2007-2009):

The Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol Street SE
Washington, DC 20003