[Milton-L] Satan's quote of Macbeth...

Tony Demarest tonydemarest at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 24 15:08:54 EST 2008

Hi Jeffrey-

I wonder if the following lines (IV,i) of Lear are more appropriate especially with the playing on "worse," and "worst." Perhaps Carey got his Shakespeare "quite unnoticed."

EDGAR [Aside] O gods! Who is't can say 'I am atthe worst'?I am worse than e'er I was.Tony

From: rumrich at mail.utexas.eduTo: milton-l at lists.richmond.eduSubject: Re: [Milton-L] Satan's quote of Macbeth...Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 13:42:45 -0600CC: gforan at mail.utexas.eduHi Jeffery

I wonder if Prof. Carey is referring to Macbeth 3.4 ("for now I am bent to know, / By the worst means, the worst") and PR 3.207ff (If there be worse, the expectation more / Of worse torments me than the feeling can. / I would be at the worst; worst is my port.")  It's not exactly an unmistakable echo, but I believe the connection is there, and it's a pretty meaty one, too.

John