[Milton-L] Milton Judges in SA

Paul Miller pm9 at comcast.net
Sun Feb 24 10:38:21 EST 2008

"with head a while enclin'd,
And eyes fast fixt he stood, as one who pray'd",

Let's take the messenger out of SA and put him into the narrative of Judges. Place him close to an exit so he can escape the cataclysm but close enough where he can observe Samson.  Samson prays as he does in Judges. Wouldn't the subjective observation of the messenger from his spacial placement in the narrative of Judges be the very same as what is written above from SA?  Literary criticism so often resembles a Rorschach test where people feel free to see whatever instead of unpacking a text with authorial intent, context, history, and such.  It makes me think of William Blake who's interpretation of Milton I find facinating but does it have much to do with Milton, I doubt it.

Paul Miller

So Hills amid the Air encounterd Hills
Hurl'd to and fro with jaculation dire,
That under ground, they fought in dismal
shade --- Paradise Lost