[Milton-L] Samson and a plug

Jameela Lares Jameela.Lares at usm.edu
Sun Feb 24 06:58:34 EST 2008

Since James won't say more, I'll report that I checked out the book description
on Ashgate's site and the study does indeed look relevant, not to mention
intriguing on its own merits.

Here's a bit from the two-paragraph blurb:  "The book places Milton within early
modern contexts of interpretation and knowledge. Drawing on Renaissance
Neoplatonism, Tudor-Stuart ideology, and the Calvinist theory of conscience,
Milton's Secrecy argues that the attempt to theorize interpretation without
discovery is not unorthodox within early modern English culture. If anything,
Milton's hostility to secrecy and discovery aligns him with his culture's
ethical and hermeneutic ideal."

Since I'm doing a doctoral seminar in the fall on Milton and ethics, I'll surely
want to get this book.

See more at https://www.ashgate.com/shopping/
title.asp?key1=&key2=&orig=results&isbn=0%207546%206067%202

Cheers,

Jameela

Quoting jfleming at sfu.ca:

--