[Milton-L] Satan's quote of Macbeth...

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 24 05:31:37 EST 2008

This query will reveal my ignorance, but in John Carey's Times Online review of Anna Beer's recent book, Milton: Poet, Pamphleteer and Patriot, which we were alerted to earlier today, Carey writes:
  Some poems -- Arcades and At a Solemn Music, for example – go quite unnoticed by Beer. So does his first published poem, the sonnet on Shakespeare. Written when he was 22 and prefaced to the second folio of Shakespeare's works, it is one of the earliest tributes to his genius, and might have been expected to prompt Milton's biographer to trace the influence of Shakespeare on his art from the brilliant pastiche of Comus to Satan's despairing quotation of Macbeth at a key moment in Paradise Regained.  I have not yet found "Satan's despairing quotation of Macbeth at a key moment in Paradise Regained." Does anyone know the Macbeth quote alluded to by Carey?

  Jeffery Hodges

University Degrees:

Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley
M.A., History of Science, U.C. Berkeley