[Milton-L] RE: Samson's prayer for revengr

Sara van den Berg vandens at slu.edu
Sat Feb 23 21:31:14 EST 2008

If you want to contextualize the poem in terms of 17th c English
Christians, then it is worth noting that Samson was a controversial
figure in 17th c sermons.  Some were pro-Samson; others were not.  Some
sermons treated Samson as a type of Christ; others did not.  Joseph
Wittreich surveys the debate in his book on SA.  Another context, of
course, is the publication of SA with PR, a juxtaposition that invites
Milton's readers to compare/contrast Samson and Christ.  The questions
just keep getting bigger.

Sara van den Berg