[Milton-L] Peter Ackroyd examines Milton

Sara van den Berg vandens at slu.edu
Sat Feb 23 15:34:57 EST 2008

Thanks to Paul Miller.  However, the messenger suggests two possible
interpretations of Samson: his eyes are "fast fixt" (1) as if he is
praying (2) "or some great matter in his mind revolv'd."  The latter
suggests not intense prayer but intense planning/deciding with a sense
of the consequences.  Since the messenger emphasizes Samson's (blind)
eyes "fast fixt," not his mouth moving, it would seem that the messenger
is speculating that Samson either prayed silently or planned his fatal
act. Maybe both of his interpretations are "true"; maybe there are other
possible interpretations.  In any case, Milton does not simply reiterate
Samson's oral prayer in Judges.

Sara van den Berg