[Milton-L] Peter Ackroyd examines Milton

Sara van den Berg vandens at slu.edu
Sat Feb 23 14:43:10 EST 2008

"As one who prayed" has always seemed to me not just ambiguity but a
piece of realism.  The passage is the messenger's narrative, and he
could see Samson and speculate about what he was doing.  He could not
hear Samson (who was too far away) or know for certain if Samson was
silently praying.  Much of the final part of the poem (including the
judgments of the Chorus and Manoa) is their subjective judgment.  In the
case of the Messenger, his narrative is imbedded in Milton's text which
is itself a rewriting of Judges.

Sara van den Berg