[Milton-L] Peter Ackroyd examines Milton

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 14:07:15 EST 2008

Paul -- I don't see how this passage contradicts Carey's claim that in
Milton Samson's prayer is omitted.  Carey claims that Samson's prayer
is included in the Book of Judges, which it is:

<< 16:28 Then Samson prayed to the LORD, "O Sovereign LORD, remember
me. O God, please strengthen me just once more, and let me with one
blow get revenge on the Philistines for my two eyes.">>

And that it is omitted from Milton's account, which it is.  We don't
have the language of Samson's prayer in Milton's account of the story,
just the rather ambiguous phrase, "as one who prayed."  Carey's point
doesn't seem to me to be that Milton didn't pray, but that by omitting
the language of the prayer Samson's acts are rendered far more
ambiguous in Milton's account than in the Book of Judges.

Jim R