[Milton-L] Peter Ackroyd examines Milton

Paul Miller pm9 at comcast.net
Sat Feb 23 12:43:51 EST 2008

James Rovira ---> "The Ackroyd piece isn't nearly as interesting as Carey's
review of
Beer's biography"

I missed the link the first time and as I read his review I came across
this:

Carey ---> "In Samson Agonistes, too, Beer misses the crucial point. In the
Book of Judges Samson prays to God for strength, and is granted it, before
pulling down the building on the heads of the Philistines. But in Milton's
account the prayer is omitted"

No Milton really didn't omit the prayer he uses his own poetic nuance in the
depiction of it.

"He unsuspitious led him; which when Samson
Felt in his arms, with head a while enclin'd,
And eyes fast fixt he stood, as one who pray'd,
Or some great matter in his mind revolv'd". SA Milton

Paul Miller

So Hills amid the Air encounterd Hills
Hurl'd to and fro with jaculation dire,
That under ground, they fought in dismal
shade --- Paradise Lost