[Milton-L] Thinking or Rehearsing?

Carol Barton cbartonphd1 at verizon.net
Thu Feb 21 10:04:50 EST 2008

Jason, the issues you've raised are important ones, and suggest that you are and will be a good teacher.

The trick is to believe what you believe, but not to be closed-minded about it: you will learn the most phenomenal things from your students' fresh insights and "stupid questions," because the best way to get an education is to try to teach someone else something you "know." Case in point: my stepson (who had ADD) always had trouble with math, which was my least favorite subject, and he found fractions and decimals particularly hard to master. One day when I was tutoring him, he asked why a thousand was written "1,000" (with three zeroes), but a thousandth was written ".001"--with only two? My gut reaction was "How the hell should I know? Because it *is*!--but you don't answer a child (or any student) that way. I had to think about it for a minute--then I realized that it was because the latter was a *fraction*, and that if you added the zero place-holder for the whole number, ignoring the decimal, you'd have the mirror image: "0.001." The same thing happened with metrics: while teaching them to him, I suddenly realized that all of the fractions derived from Latin, and all the whole numbers were in Greek!

The same thing has happened many times in the classroom, with a student insight or question that has made me see something in an entirely new way. Sometimes--as in the case of the young man who thought Blake's song-of-experience chimney sweep was of African descent because he's "a little black thing amidst the snow"--the perception is clearly wrong, but reveals an ambiguity you hadn't even realized was there. Other times, as with my male students' perception that Roethke's "My Papa's Waltz" describes a lighthearted romp between a loving father and his son, their questions reveal a conflict (in the sense of duality) that even the author may not have realized was there--the poem can, legitimately, be read as a story of drunken child-abuse, or as a tale of giddy rough-housing between the speaker and his parent, though when Roethke reads it himself, it is pretty clearly the former.

Let them teach you as you teach them, and you'll be astonished by the magic that unfolds!

Best to all,

Carol Barton