[Milton-L] Why oh Why

Carol Barton cbartonphd1 at verizon.net
Wed Feb 20 13:15:16 EST 2008

I wasn't necessarily referring to PL, Carroll--though the "thereness" of a
work that was so beloved that many people "kept it next the Bible" is
certainly arguable. The _Tenure of Kings and Magistrates_, the _Defences_,
_Eikonoklastes_, _Areopagitica_, and even the divorce tracts certainly made
enough of a splash in their day to be "there"--and obviously, Milton exists
in the topography of the world's great authors, too.

To my mind, if this question were being posed by an undergraduate, the
answer "Because he wrote _Paradise Lost_" is too superficial to convey the
magnitude of the man's contributions--to the rights of the individual, to
freedom of the press, and to the canon of western thought. Milton is "there"
intellectually as Everest is there physically--and no one ever said either
was going to be easy to scale. The achievement is in the ascent.

Best to all,

Carol Barton