PRIVATE Re: [Milton-L] Why oh Why

Carol Barton cbartonphd1 at verizon.net
Wed Feb 20 12:36:00 EST 2008

Thanks, Bill: I'd always heard that it was Hillary who said that--how these things get misattributed I will never know, but the really frustrating thing is that once they are, they get repeated into "fact"--so I'm glad you corrected it.

I hadn't thought he was responding enthusiastically, though, and neither was I: what I was actually thinking fell somewhere between the haughty maitre d's "If you have to ask, you can't afford it," and "Try reading the canon, and you might understand"--I so, I suspect, did Mallory's response.

Best,

Carol