[Milton-L] Why oh Why

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Feb 19 19:55:37 EST 2008

> Mike Selby wrote:
>
> Can anyone recommend a book or resource as to "WHY" we study Milton,
> and / or English Literature?  Thank-you.

And they want to know what we talked about?
	"_de litteris et de armis, praestantibusque igeniis,_
Both of ancient times and our own; books, arms,
And of men of unusual genius,
Both of ancient times and our own, in short the usual subjects
Of conversation between intelligent men."
		Canto XI

-To study with the white wings of time passing
		is not that our delight
to have friends come from far countries
		is not that pleasure
nor to care that we are untrumpted?
		filial, fraternal affection is the root of humaneness
		the root of the process
nor are elaborate speeches and slick alacrity.
		Canto LXXIV

Carrol