[Milton-L] Query re Wither, _Schollers Purgatory_

Carol Barton cbartonphd1 at verizon.net
Mon Feb 11 12:29:12 EST 2008

Thanks, Daniel. The original quotation was from one of Hill's books, I'm
fairly certain (though I have only one of them here). The writer said the
king (presumably James) permitted Laud to perpetrate "a savage censorship
which, in George Wither's words, brought 'authors, yea, the whole
commonwealth and all the liberal sciences into
bondage.'" I assumed that this referred to Laud's "unofficial"
censorship--via James and the Court of High Commission--of Pareus, Knight,
and Crompton, et al. (especially those of Calvinistic leanings), and
Wither's own "obscene" _Cantata Sacra_, rather than his more direct
censorship under Charles. (?)

Best to all,

Carol Barton