[Milton-L] IMS9

Warren Chernaik warren.chernaik at kcl.ac.uk
Fri Feb 8 04:28:26 EST 2008

Dear colleagues,
Here is an update on the forthcoming International Milton Seminar
(IMS9) in London, 6-11 July 2008. We have decided to include a
conference banquet on the evening of Thursday, 10 July, instead of the
boat ride down the Thames originally planned. The banquet will be at
the Imperial Hotel, overlooking Russell Square, at £31 per person.
Other fringe events with extra charges include "Milton in Music", a
concert of settings of Milton by Handel and other composers peformed
by the Apollo Chamber Orchestra and soloists on Tuesday evening at St
Giles Cripplegate (the church where Milton is buried), £15; and (as
alternatives, since they are both scheduled on Wednesday afternoon) a
semi-staged reading of "Samson Agonistes" at St Giles Cripplegate, £8;
and a coach trip to Milton's cottage in Chalfont St Giles, £12. The
conference fee is £135 for those registering on or before 15 May 2008
and £145 afterwards. We strongly recommend early registration, since
the fringe events (other than the conference dinner) are open to the
public, and tickets will go on public sale after 15 May. Plenary
speakers include Ian Archer, Stanley Fish, Achsah Guibbory, Geoffrey
Hill (reading his recent poems), Ann Hughes, Laura Knoppers, Nicholas
von Maltzahn, John Rumrich, Regina Schwartz, anbd Quentin Skinner, and
there will also be a lecture, open to the public, by Annabel Patterson.
Registration forms, in Word or PDF format, can be downloaded from the
website of the Institute of English Studies, http://ies.sas.ac.uk. Go
to the website, and then to "events" and "conferences", with a link to
the registration forms. There is also information about hotels and
other accommodations in London on the IES website. It promises to be
an excellent conference, and I look forward to seeing many of you there.
Best wishes,
Warren Chernaik
--
Warren Chernaik