[Milton-L] text questions

Lorayne C. Mundy mundylc at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 6 13:48:16 EST 2008

I can really relate, and commiserate, with most of the issues I've been
reading from you emails on this topic...I was an "older" student when I went
to school, (although now reaching 70 I know that is a relative term), and
got my BA majoring in both Bus. Mgt and Lit (Milton being my center of the
universe thanks to a professor whom I saw as a high priest offering me a new
kingdom).  As an older student I recognize the "looks" of
boredom/arrogance/disdain that Michele spoke of, and I also came to grips
with the fact that this was my time, my dollar, and my last chance to sit at
the feet of the guru and ask questions.  Now, parenthetically, in this
latest stage of my life I am at the front of the classroom teaching
classical lit, and there's a new element to deal with that has escalated in
quantum leaps since my days as a student...all of them mentioned in the
morass of emails written by my learned colleagues.

This newest generation of students not only brings the disdain of the
classics to the table, but they don't even come equipped with the tools of
the trade with which to deal with  a 17th century dictionary that doesn't
apply to their scope of understanding, or the grammar skills that would help
them discern the differences inherently found in "older" literature.. In
fact, for the most part I find them sorely lacking in understanding what a
vowel is, wordy sentences are a norm based on their speech patterns, and
researching MLA in a hard cover book, in a library, is as foreign to them as
a computer would have been in the not so distant past.  Even if you can get
them to research on line, they dig in their heels at having to further
research the credentials of the critic they are quoting.  Unlike, 'back in
the day', when I was privileged to have the likes of a John Shawcross as a
visiting lecturer on my campus, (though I have to admit he detested my topic
of Milton as an avant guarde feminist - and I have to admit I've grown some
since then Mr. S (:>)), we are succeeding in deleting literature as an
inherent necessity in the education of our young.  Visiting lecturers are a
limited expenditure in most budgets.  I understand that even in the Ivy
League schools, mandatory courses in the classics are a thing of the past.
Readings in Latin? Probably as rare as classes in etymology.  The push now
is to learn Spanish, vice German or French, and outside of the fields that
involve archaeology, learning Greek (of any period) is probably
non-existent.

So I am also glad to see that along with the recognition of the pitfalls of
this "new generational gap", there is also a love for your field that must
needs have an impact on this new breed of students.  You have not given up.
You bring lovely new teaching tactics to the table...like reading the first
page of the classics and presenting it in both "languages", whetting their
appetite, or at least making them aware of the differences.  We don't always
have the pleasure in today's world, as I did and I'm sure you all did, of
spending 2 or 3 semesters on Milton, or one semester on each Canto of the
divine Dante's gift to mankind.  We are more likely to have to cram Milton
into a course called "European Lit to the 17th century", sharing time with
everyone from Sophocles to Shakespeare.  That's a sobering thought! And do
you know what is the most daunting thing of all?  When I received my degree
I was almost overwhelmed by the amount of reading I still had not
accomplisihed when I was called a "Master" .  You all have been and are
still out there writing, still fine-honing the view of who and what Milton
was, and I don't know if I can ever catch up!  Think how much more daunting
that could be to a young student today who is just starting out!

I do know that being a member of this list has given me entree into a
private clubroom of conversation in a field I shall love until I fall off my
perch.   I have that lovely feeling of the "fly-on-the-wall" that allows me
to sit with a cup of tea and learn still more.  I have a daunting amount of
folders on my computer with sources, insights, analyses, humour, trivia, and
teaching tactics, on a topic I have loved for almost 40 years.   And it all
helps me continually  improve on my own offerings in the classroom.  Sorry
to bother, but just this once I felt a need to respond, and to say thank you
for giving me entrance into these lovely halls...

Lorayne C. Mundy