[Milton-L] text questions

Peter C. Herman herman2 at mail.sdsu.edu
Wed Feb 6 11:13:52 EST 2008

At 07:51 AM 2/6/2008, you wrote:

>Anyhow - I find in non-majors and increasingly in majors really poor
>vocabularies and an inability to sound out a new word.  No wonder
>that many don't read for pleasure - how can they enjoy what they
>can't u8nderstand?

While this may be a chicken-egg scenario, I suspect that not reading
leads to poor vocabulary rather than the reverse.

But I also have a draconian suggestion: once, when faced with a class
filled with people who had not deigned to do the reading, I threw out
everybody except the few who had completed the assignment. But before
I did, I announced that the next day there would be a quiz. If they
passed, it would be worth zero. If not; 50% of the grade.

Not only did everyone have the text read for the next class (nobody
failed the quiz), but I never had any problems with the class not
reading the material again.

Peter C. Herman