[Milton-L] text questions

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Feb 5 22:09:37 EST 2008

Derek Wood wrote:

> I was sorry not to see, in the course of this discussion, a defence of modern spelling editions of early modern texts.  . . . .

There is no rational defense of _either_ alternative. Hence there is a
powerful defense of both. I suspect very few people are consistent, but
prefer modern or 'original' spelling of a given author depending on how
they first experienced that author. For Donne and Pope, I feel more
comfortable with original spelling; for Milton I feel more comfortable
with modernized spelling. I am highly sceptical that it makes a dime's
worth of difference.

Carrol