[Milton-L] another little note

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 20:24:49 EST 2008

I think the best approach to this subject begins with the recognition
that one's interpretation of this passage is not driven by lexical
study but by theological commitments, since virtually any theological
position can be argued from lexical study, esp. regarding this
particular passage of Matthew.  We should also note that perfection
even in the sense of "without flaw" is contextual: without fault or
blemish has to do with suitability for sacrifice.  Not suitability for
plowing fields or for producing milk, say.

So the questions at hand are, how is this passage being
used/interpreted, and what is motivating that interpretation?  Lexical
study allows us to see the various possibilities for interpretation so
identify motivated readings.  The case of the unfortunate young
suicide is not a case of failure to properly interpret.  The
interpretation was itself motivated by the same causes as the suicide:
perfectionism, guilt, self-hatred, all of which would have been
present without any reference to that passage.