[Milton-L] Cosmic and Sublime

FLANNAGAN, ROY ROY at uscb.edu
Sun Feb 3 08:21:17 EST 2008

And the Houghton Mifflin Riverside Milton has always had original spelling, capitalization, italics, and punctuation, based on the most authoritative texts and manuscripts of each poem or work of prose.

Though Milton was blind when Paradise Lost was first published, he seems to have had a close relationship with many of his publishers, and he knew how a book was composed by a printer's staff.  We have the manuscript of Book 1 of Paradise Lost, but it tells us only that the relationship between Milton, amanueses, and printer was a complex one; and we have the ten-book epic and the twelve-book epic, with changes made in the twelve-book epic made by Milton, as well as addtions such as the arguments, and we have the transitional lines that had to be added when books were split.

Sadly, but understandably, the people who care about recreating the texts closest to Milton himself or to standard printing practices of his time can be numbered on one set of hands.  And the task of recreating, say, a drop-cap like those of the 1667 or 1674 versions of Paradise Lost, and making the text flow as it did around that letter--that kind of job is hard and intricate and it requires careful judgment, careful eyesight, and careful page-composition.

It is difficult to do an "old-spelling" edition of Milton, as it is difficult to do a consistently modernized edition like that of John Leonard.  Some of us, like Barbara Lewalski, John Shawcross, and I have attempted to re-create what we consider to be editions closest to Milton's known wishes and the practices of his time, but of course all our editions are slightly different from each other's, and we all think we have made the best decisions about our texts based on careful collation and judgment of the value of spelling, capitalization, or (my favoirite) italics,

The decision about what edition to use must depend on the instructor's choice, based on cost, authority, and aesthetic appeal.  The choice now can involve digitized images of original editions or transcriptions of those editions that students can acquire, sort of, for free, with or without annotations.

One point about "old-spelling" editions that I would like to make is that they force a modern student to see Milton in the context of his time, which is far removed from our own time and needing the explanation of historical and biographical introduction and annotation.  One example given in a recent post to Milton-L is that of quotation marks for quotations within Paradise Lost.  If a student is taught to read paragraph indentation and the signposts that Milton himself (like Vergil) used, such as "he finished" or "he said," then there will be no problem telling when a character is beginning to speak again.

Roy Flannagan